If you have a passion for crafting high-quality code, work independently, and are excited to be a part of an ambitious startup within a high impact field, then this might be the right opportunity for you.
Imagine a world where scientists and researchers worldwide have easy and secure access to the newest computational biology tools the very moment they are published. That is a world where life science research has an even bigger impact, where vaccines are developed even faster, and where rare genetic diseases can be diagnosed early and effectively treated. That is the world we at BioLib strive towards, and that is why we are building a team of world-class software engineers.
In the last year, we have been building the world's first platform with zero-knowledge computation for the life sciences. Among many other technologies, the platform is employing WebAssembly - a novel byte code format - to allow client-side execution of sandboxed code in any modern web browser.
We are expanding our software engineering team further to develop the core platform and our research projects. As a Software Engineer at BioLib, you will be working with your team on a range of different projects, including developing our compute platforms, machine learning frameworks, secure enclaves, and systems for federated learning.
- Design, plan and drive full-stack implementation of software projects;
- Development of our core platform, including a React/TypeScript frontend and Django backend;
- Contribute to our open-source projects such as OpenProtein (a PyTorch-based machine learning framework for end-to-end differentiable protein folding);
- Working on current and future research projects, including zero-knowledge enclaves, federated learning, and advanced cryptography.
- Excellent software engineering skills. A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a similar subject is an advantage but not a strict requirement - what we care about is excellence in practice, not on paper.
- Ability to learn quickly: Our philosophy is pragmatic - we are technology agnostic and always try to use the best tool for the task at hand. In the context of technical skills, this means that we do not expect you to master all the languages and frameworks we currently use on day one. However, we do expect you to be able to pick them up quickly.
- Are excited about working to increase the impact of life science;
- Have a growth mindset, are curious and a quick learner;
- Want to work in an informal and fast-paced startup environment.
At BioLib, we invest in excellent people and trust them to do excellent work. This means that every employee is empowered and expected to take responsibility for our shared success, and it means that everyone on the team has a large degree of freedom to work the way that best suits them. In this role, you will be working on a platform that is evolving every day, and you will be joining an expanding team - so we expect you to be ready to grow with us.